Donations of computer systems to establish and maintain our worldwide computer labs are relied upon. We will gladly accept donations of good, usable equipment that fits our needs, described below. Kids on Computers® will give a receipt for donated equipment once we have accepted it.
Laptops / Netbooks
Modern laptop computers that meet our minimum requirements are very desirable. Laptops or netbooks that are functional will gladly be accepted, but they must have the following minimum requirements:
- No major physical damage
- No missing components, including keycaps
- A working battery that accepts a charge and will power the laptop for at least 1 hour
- A working A/C power adapter that is compatible with the laptop
- A working display
- At least 512 MB RAM
- At least 20GB hard drive
- USB mouse
- Keyboard in the destination country’s language
Other Computer Equipment
We also need:
- USB Flash drives (thumb drive, data stick, etc.) 4 to 32 GB each
- Ethernet cables
- Ethernet connectors and crimping tools
- Network hubs, switches, and routers
- Wireless Access Points
- Power cables, extension cords and power strips
We occasionally have additional, very specific and urgent equipment needs, but those are best resolved by cash purchases at the time. Your cash donation helps defray these unexpected expenses.
For information on where to send your donations, please email donations (AT) kidsoncomputers (dot) org or Contact Us with a description of what you want to donate, your location, and availability. In some cases we can provide information about major carriers that may offer discounted shipping rates.